Tuesday, March 13, 2012

GreenStitch Episode 52 - Why I Didn't Clean My Sewing Room

Thanks for tuning in to another episode. Haven't listened yet? Get it here.

The batik quilt from the guild retreat is in its messy stage in this photo - just blocks clinging to my makeshift design board (aka, batting taped to the wall). I trimmed up the setting squares and put a silvery batik border around it. I'll post another photo once it's back from the longarm quilter.

Also, if you look closely, you can see a proper little stepstool on the floor. If you use a design wall, and it's actually a must for any sort of on-point setting like this, please use something sturdy. I was lucky to have no ill effects from my clumsy tumble off a folder chair earlier! All it took was a little asking around at the retreat center to come up with a better way to reach the top of my wall. I'm embarrassed I was so cavalier about it, but I hope you can learn from my mistake.

Here's the cute potholder made out of selvedge strips foundation-pieced onto a square of muslin, then layered with Insul-Brite and a cotton backing. So cute!

OK, here's one of the things I uncovered while trying to clean my sewing room. Ugh - awful, right? I have no idea why it didn't felt, but it did shrink up and get lumpy and thick. It was a no-risk proposition to cut that thick neck off and slice right up the center front.
It's still not a wearable cardigan (sleeves just too lumpy!) but I have to say, cutting the sweater and adding a cotton placket and neck binding was way, way easier than I thought it would be. Even though it hadn't felted, there was no unraveling in attaching the fabric. I didn't actually sew on these vintage buttons - just put them in place for the photo. Now I'm on the lookout for a cute, pastel, springy crewneck sweater so I can make myself a fun spring cardigan.

Here's the laminated garden apron that also distracted me in mid-clean. I had already started detaching the binding, thinking I would just narrow the bib portion. I realized the whole thing was just too long and too stiff to be really useful as a full apron. So...

...slicing right across the middle turns this into a right-sized, highly useful apron for the garden. Despite our unseasonably warm March weather here in New York, it's still too early to really get out and plant, but I'm really looking forward to using this soon.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Episode 51 - Catching up, and Mats for Uganda

Oh, what a long time it's been since I recorded! Here's the current episode.

It was so much fun to visit with Beth from Think Liz. You'll want to check out her blog for any number of reasons, but especially to learn about Mats for Uganda.

Use this handy link on on Beth's site to learn how to make "plarn" -- crochetable "yarn" from plastic shopping bags.

To go direct to the Mats for Uganda site, just click right here.

I won't be so long to publish another episode - thanks for sticking with me!

Monday, January 2, 2012

GreenStitch Episode 50 - Happy 2012!

It's a New Year's miracle - I posted after going dark for more than a month! Thanks so much for tuning in (you can get the recording here.)

It was so much fun to see Jim Henson's original puppet creations at the Smithsonian Museum of American History. The original Kermit at the left of the pack is faded but it was easy to see how he had started out life as Jim Henson's mother's old wool coat!

And a few other links from today's ramble-fest: