Sunday, April 3, 2011

GreenStitch Episode 31 - My love for linen

Basketball, linen, a fine cat's birthday, and the Repurpose-Along 2011 - it's a varied agenda indeed in this week's broadcast. Click here to listen



The flash sure gave a yellow wash to these photos, but I think you can still get the idea of my reupholstered entryway bench. The previous version was navy blue and drab indeed. I think the big, splashy print of this linen is actually much more flattering to the bench than it once would have been on the backside of someone wearing the original skirt!

Do check out the Sewing With Linen Flickr group - but only when you have enough time time to browse, because I can guarantee you'll want to stay there awhile.

Also, join in the Repurpose-Along 2011 Flickr group by April 22, Earth Day, and be part of the drawing fun.

I thought you'd enjoy this photo, one of our family's favorites. My mother was an avid fan of all sports, and she loved the NCAA basketball tournament. She won the family prize in 2000 with her ace picks of Michigan State, Wisconsin, and other teams making it to the Final Four. Here she is accepting the treasured photo of Carol Burnett from my brother Joe. Isn't she cute? (By the way, if you'd like to read more about my mom, check out the "About GreenStitch" section of this blog.)

And here's the birthday boy, the fine Grendel, enjoying his felted wool nap blanket with catnip pockets. Twenty years ago he was a tiny stray kitten at a construction site. He's a much-loved and wonderfully cared-for fellow, and it was great fun to help my friends salute his two decades of loving companionship!

5 comments:

  1. The bench looks great. Oh my- that was some dress, though! Yikes! Love the cat bed idea- I'm going to make that for my cat. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to have her for 20 years. She is a manx (very cool breed!) Great podcast-thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so enjoying your suggestions and mind-set. It's helping me to look at old items with new eyes. Have you ever seen the blog, blockaday? Lily is Australian and has a lovely eye for re-making things.
    http://blockaday.com/twas-once-a-blouse-now-tis-a-smock-with-a-how-to/

    jill953

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the podcast. Sounds like your family has a lot of fun doing things together. I like the idea of catnip in the cat blanket. The bench you recovered looks great. I did go over to the linen Flickr group to take a look at all the projects. There are so many ideas there. I do have a linen jacket that I think I'll make into a purse for myself. The handbags look so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of catnip in the cat blanket. The bench you recovered looks great. I did go over to the linen Flickr group to take a look at all the projects

    ReplyDelete